This month’s postcards are focused on nature and self-reflection. Remember that one’s perspective determines how they see and fell about things. It’s up to you to decide the positives and negatives in your life. Also, it’s good to be reminded that enjoying the simple things over extravagant luxuries could be more self-fulfilling. It could be spending more time with loved ones, going out to your community, or trying something new.
August may be the last official month of summer but that doesn’t mean that you still can’t enjoy this summer to the end. Check out the events below:
Want to attend a local event?
WOW Event: Wednesday, August 24 at 6 PM – 8 PM
1532 Frost Ave, Maplewood, Minnesota 55109
Carnival Fun & Movie Night (Planes, Fire & Rescue starting at 8pm) Arts & Crafts – Dunk Tank – Inflatables – Kid City Booth – Nature Center Activities – Crazy Hair Station
Free Admission, Free Hot Dogs, Chips and Pop
The school year is approaching in the state of Minnesota. For those who need school supplies, make sure to check your local area for freebies! The 2016 School Supplies Bash is being held in multiple counties; Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey and Washington Counties. For more details & dates on where it may happen near you, click here!
Twin Cities Mobile Jazz Project utilizes Jazz music, its derivatives, history, art, media and technology as a means to promote learning, communication and self-expression. This summer, the youth participants hosted free concerts all over the Twin Cities and have been hard at work learning from professional teaching artists and creating original songs and productions.
The Summer Concert Series will be hosting 4 more concerts in August from 3 pm to 6 pm:
August 17 – Powderhorn Park
August 24 – Folwell Park
August 31 – Harrison Park
Learn more about the project here – TwinCitiesMobileJazzProject.org!
Join Argent Blue is a young Hmong American band that plays a variety of genres, including funk, rock, jazz, alternative, and Hmong classics. They will host a FREE concert for the community at:
Saturday, August 27 at 6 PM – 12 AM
Rosemount Community Center
13885 S Robert Trl, Rosemount, Minnesota 55068
A free concert and dance party! Invite your friends and dance through the evening! Dress to impress!
Alcohol will NOT BE PERMITTED. Anyone who brings alcohol will be asked to leave.
Summer is a time of sunny days, hot temperature, and heat waves that occurs throughout the days. Make sure that you stay protected from all of these and any potential damage from the summer heat. It’s time to review what you can do to protect your health!
Belong to rightful owner.
- Everytime you go out, make sure to wear sunscreen! Apply it to your body and don’t forget your face and ears. Intense sunlight on any part of your body can damage your skin and cause skin cancer.
- Drink lots of water! If it is hot outside your body will sweat to keep it cool and that also means you’re losing water. Drink as much water as possible to stay hydrated and refreshed!
- “The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a buyer beware on the possible health benefits of Whole Body Cryotherapy (WBC) treatments. WBC is used to cool the body for therapeutic purposes. A person stands in a semi-closed chamber with their torso, and legs exposed to frigid temperatures for two to four minutes while their head and neck are above the machine. As with any new medical device, talk to your doctor first and learn more about this consumer update.” – Rightful owner
- Summer nights means more bugs and mosquitoes are out! Wear repellent bands or/and spray on some insect repellent! Wear proper clothes (especially during summer night times) to prevent further bug bites!
There are definetly easy ways in which you can improve your eating habits. Whether there’s a certain goal that you want to reach, the best mindset is to start out small. Don’t focus on the end result because it’s more about what you can do now than worrying about the future!
Eating fruits is an easy way to consume healthier food and can you in providing your daily vitamins. The best part is that you can choose fruits to your liking and incorporate them into your meals. Fruits can be eaten by itself, as a side dish/desert, or in a mixed salad. The benefits of fruits varies from each fruit. Also, if you’re craving something sweet, eating fruits is a great and healthier option!
A healthy lifestyle with a good eating habits will help maintain and keep your body healthy. Of course, it is okay to indulge yourself into your cravings every now and then. Some things to keep in mind:
- Try to drink water on a daily basis/as much as possible. Going on a couple hours without drinking water can leave your body dehydrated and possibly affecting other parts of your body. Your skin, lips, and hair will show signs of dehydration more than any other parts of your body.
- Daily exercise is necessary to being/becoming healthy. Whether it’s short/long and doing a easy/mediocre/intense workout is up to you. Also, try to leave time (30 min-1 hour) to work out (possibly 2-3x a week).
- Sleep is very important for your body to rest and reenergize! So try to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep per night! Consistent sleepless nights can do more damage to your body than you know.
Belongs to rightful owner.