June is the start of the rainy season for most parts of Japan. The summer weather is often divided between the rainy season following by the high levels of humidity. Despite the weather conditions, people can still enjoy their time in Japan. It is a good month for travelers to visit Japan because travel prices and the amount of tourists are low. Of course, be prepared for the rainy and humid weather; bring an umbrella and maybe some rain boots.
Looking for activities to do during the month of June? Here are some events that are occurring in June around Japan!
- Sanno Festival is held in central Tokyo from June 7, 2017 to June 17, 2016. Located in Chiyoda-ku and hosted by Hie Jinja, it includes parades, people in dressed in traditional clothes, festival foods, and more! It one of the three major festivals along with Kanda Matsuri and Fukagawa Matsuri. “The Sanno Matsuri is famous as a festival permitted by the Shogun to enter the grounds of Edo Castle during the Edo Period (1603-1867), along with the Kanda Matsuri.” – http://www.jnto.go.jp/
- Hokkaido Shrine Festival is located at Maruyama Park in Hokkaido, Japan. It occurs from June 14 to June 16 and about 1 million people attend the summer festival each year. A highlight would be people wearing the summer kimono, yukata, and the endless amount of festival foods.
- Other tips for travelers in Japan during June are:
- If you want to visit beaches, resorts, or/and amusements, book your tickets and go before July when school children are done with school!
- Make sure to check out tours that can give you special deals! Here is a quick link!
- For any hot countries: Bring clothes that you could layer with! Also, having a good pair of shoes to walk in all day would help you best when discovering Japan on foot.