Trauma can be defined as a physical injury or a painful experience. It can be a factor that can cause serious damage to someone’s mental and physical health. Trauma comes in different types and forms so people experience them differently. It’s important to be informed about this issue because understanding how trauma can impact people will allow us to better understand how it changes them. Here are some factors that can cause trauma:
- Violence that is found in a home, a relationship, and outsiders such as friends, bullies, etc.
- Physical damage/abuse to someone’s body that have a lasting after effect such as rape, a car accident, etc.
- Death of a loved one
- Natural disasters that can destroy people’s home and as a result, people have to be relocated
Being able to recognized if someone is traumatized by their experience will help them solve/confront their problems. Of course, it doesn’t mean everyone is able to do that so easily or quickly. It often takes time, consultation, and maybe the help of others like medications, programs, and professional help. How you will know if someone is going through their emotional state and behavior act such as:
- Mood swings, temper, denial, and responses to daily actives/conversations
- Having a hard time concentrating
- Sleep disorders such as excessive nightmares and loss of sleep
- Eating less/more than usual
It is important to treat people with trauma to ensure that they will recover through the process sooner. It may take weeks to months to years for people to overcome their traumas. But we should always try to help others cope with their traumas so they can also return to their usual life.
Here is another great source to check out for more information about trauma.