In celebration of Martin Luther King day, let’s highlight some of the accomplishments from the African American community and other fun facts!
- On November 2, 1983, the bill for Martin Luther King day was signed by President Ronald Reagan.
- Michael Curry became the the first Black leader of Episcopal church in June of 2015.
- “The poverty rate among blacks is the highest of any racial or ethnic group, but has declined slightly over time, from 31.3% in 1976 to 27.2% in 2014, according to census data.” – http://www.pewresearch.org/
- Here are some ways to reflect on this day:
- Think about yourself in place of other people who are different from you.
- Become part of or be a supporter of a positive change! Whether it is in politics, activism, or a cause that you believe in.
- Open your eyes and ears! Start to take notice of the injustice around the world and think about what you can do to serve others.
For more info, click on the link here.